A CROSS LAYER APPROACH TO IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE NETWORKS
Author’s Name : R Mohan | M Shivaranjani | K Manoj | V Gokul | P Ajay Kumar | D Venkatesh
Volume 05 Issue 03 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-252X Page no: 5 – 8
In today’s world, internet plays a vital role due to technology development. As we know, internet follows the TCP/IP stack; in the stack each layer is designed to perform a specified task. In modern days, the number of users for the internet getting increased enormously and the processing speed of the device is getting increased by the routers didn’t modified. This may result in the packet drop or the possibility of congestion high. Basic TCP/IP fails to operate wisely in those cases. If there is a feedback mechanism to indicate the status of the intermediate nodes congestion and the packet drop can be avoided. For this Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is proposed. The ECN works under the cross layer approach that inter relates the Transport Layer with the Network Layer. In this paper, we are going to propose a new cross layer approach with multi-level marking to know exactly about the status of the intermediate nodes. The proposed algorithm is designed and implemented using Network Simulator (NS2) and the parameters like throughput, goodput, packet drop and the end to end delay of proposed algorithm is compared with the standard protocol which are ISO standard. By the comparison, we understand that the proposed method performs well compared to the ECN.
- Shalli Rani, Syed Hassan Ahmed, Rajneesh Talwar, Jyoteesh Malhotra, Houbing Song, IoMT: A Reliable cross layer protocol for Internet of Multimedia Things, IEEE TRANSACTION, jan 2016, vol.66,pp01
- Gubbi,J., Buyya. R., Palaniswamy. M., Internet of Things (IoT): A vision, architectural element, future directions. Future generation of systems 2013, vol. 29(7), pp 1645-1660.
- Alnuem M. A., Mellor. J. E. , Fretwell R. J., Explicit Congestion Notification for Error Discrimination A practical approach to Improve TCP performance over wireless networks, IEEE Transaction, 2007
- Chong Han, Josep Miquel Jornet, Etimad Fadel, Ian F., Akyildiz., A cross-layer communication module for the Internet of Things, science direct, 2013.
- Ridhima Mehta, and Daya Krishan Lobiyal., Energy Efficient Cross-layer Design in MANETs 2017 4th International Conference on Signal Processing and Integrated Networks (SPIN)