A NON ISOLATED BIDIRECTIONAL DC-DC CONVERTER WITH SOFT SWITCHING
Author’s Name : B Sajitha | S Senthilkumar
Volume 01 Issue 02 Year 2014 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 12-14
Power electronic converter systems for applications such as telecom, automotive, and space can have dc voltage buses that are backed up with batteries or super-capacitors. These batteries or super-capacitors are connected to the buses with bidirectional dc–dc converters which allow them to discharged or charged, depending on the operating conditions. Bidirectional dc–dc converters may be isolated or Non-Isolated depending on the application. A new soft-switched bidirectional dc–dc converter will be proposed in this paper. The proposed converter can operate with soft switching, a continuous inductor current and the switch stresses of a conventional pulse-width modulation converter regardless of the direction of power flow. These features are due to a very simple auxiliary active clamp circuit that is operational regardless of the direction of power flow. In the paper, the operation of the converter will be discussed and its feasibility will be confirmed with simulation result.
DC–DC power conversion; energy conversion; switch stresses
- M. Jain, M. Daniele, and P. K. Jain, “A bidirectional DC– DC converter topology for low power application,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 595–606, Jul. 2000.
- H. Li, F.-Z. Peng, and J. S. Lawler, “A natural ZVS medium-power bidirectional DC–DC converter with minimum number of devices,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 525–535, Mar. 2003.
- P. Jose and N. Mohan, “A novel ZVS bidirectional cuk converter for dual voltage systems in automobiles,” in Proc. IEEE IECON Conf. Rec., 2003, pp. 117–122.
- R. Li, A. Pottharst, N. Frohleke, and J. Bocker, “Analysis and design of improved isolated full-bridge bidirectional DC–DC converter,” in Proc.IEEE PESC Conf. Rec., 2004, pp. 521–52
- S. Inoue and H. Akagi, “A bidirectional isolated DC–DC converter as a core circuit of the next-generation medium-voltage power conversion system,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 535–542, Mar. 2007.
- K. Zhiguo, Z. Chunbo, Y. Shiyan, and C. Shukang, “Study of bidirectional DC–DC converter for power management in electric bus with super capacitors,” in Proc. IEEE VPPC Conf. Rec., 2006, pp. 1–6.
- C. P. Henze, H. C. Martin, and D. W. Parsley, “Zero voltage switching in high frequency power converters using pulse width modulation,” in Proc.IEEE APEC Conf. Rec., 1988, pp. 33–40.
- D. M. Sable and F. C. Lee, “A zero-voltage-switching bidirectional battery charger/discharger for NASA EOS satellite,” in Proc. IEEE APEC Conf.Rec., 1992, pp. 614–621.
- Z. R. Martinez and B. Ray, “Bidirectional DC/DC power conversion using constant frequency multi-resonant topology,” in Proc. IEEE APEC Conf.Rec., 1994, pp. 991–997.
- C.-E. Kim, S.-K. Han, K.-H. Yi, W.-J. Lee, and G.-W. Moon, “A new high efficiency ZVZCS bi-directional DC/DC converter for 42 V Power System of HEVs,” in Proc. IEEE PESC Conf. Rec., 2006, pp. 792–797.
- C.-E. Kim, S.-K. Han, K.-H. Yi, W.-J. Lee, and G.-W Moon, “A new high efficiency ZVZCS bi-directional DC/DC converter for 42 V Power System of HEVs,” in Proc. IEEE PESC Conf. Rec., 2006, pp. 792–797.
- K. T. Chau, T. W. Ching, and C. C. Chan, “Bidirectional soft- switching converter-fed DC motor drives,” in Proc. IEEE PESC Conf. Rec., 1998, pp. 416–422.
- H. Shiji, K. Harada, Y. Ishihara, T. Todaka, and G. Alzamora, “A zero-voltage-switching bidirectional converter for PV systems,” in Proc. IEEE INTELEC Conf. Rec., 2003, pp. 14–19.
- E. Sanchis-Kilders, A. Ferreres, E. Maset, J. B. Ejea, V. Esteve, J. Jordan, Garrigos, and J. Calvente, “Soft switching bidirectional converter for battery discharging–charging,” in Proc. IEEE APEC Conf. Rec., 2006, pp. 603–609.
- I.-D. Kim, S.-H. Paeng, J.-W. Ahn, E.-C. Nho, and J.-S. Ko, “New bidirectional ZVS PWM Sepic/Zeta DC–DC converter,” in Proc. IEEE ISIE Conf. Rec., 2007, pp. 555–560.