DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT OF PERMANENT MAGNET BRUSHLESS DC (PMBLDC) MOTOR FOR SOLAR WATER PUMPING APPLICATION
Author’s Name : R B Selvakumar
Volume 03 Issue 04 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 21-25
Industrial development and population growth have led to a surge in the global demand for energy in recent years. The issues like depleting of fossil fuel resources and green environment lead to utilization of renewable energy sources like solar, wind etc. On the other hand, the electrical energy demand severely affects the agricultural economy of developing countries like India. In Agriculture, water pumping process is the major sector consumer of electricity, and hence energy efficient methods and techniques are to be implemented, particularly in water pumping for irrigation purpose. The solar energy is the ideal form of energy with the feature of being environment friendly and it is utilized for water pumping. Squirrel cage induction motors have been the most popular electric motors for long time. Meanwhile, for solar pumping application, induction motors are used with Power Electronic converters. The disadvantages like low operating power factor, low operating efficiency and cost of induction motor pump have been addressed in this project. The Permanent Magnet Brushless DC (PMBLDC) Motor is found to be one of the best alternate to address the above issues. This project focuses on design, simulation and development of highly durable, low cost, reduced weight, 2.2kW PMBLDC motor suitable for solar water pumping application. The MOTORSOLVE software tool was used to simulate the design.
Agriculture, Energy Efficient Motor, MotorSolve, PMBLDC Motor, Solar Water Pump
- B.Kavitha, S.Karthikeyan, B.Iswarya, “Design of solar PV water pumping system using BLDC drive using sensorless method”, Vol 3, March 2014.
- Bhim Singh, C.L. PuttaSwamy, B.P. Singh, “Analysis and development of a low-cost permanent magnet brushless DC motor drive for array fed water pumping system”, 1998.
- C. Breton, J. Bartolome, J. A. Benito, G. Tassinario, I. Flotats, C. W. Lui, and B. J.Chalmers, “Influence of machine symmetry on reduction of cogging torque in permanent-magnet brushless motors,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 36, no. 5,pp.3819-3823, Sept. 2000.
- C. C. Hwang and Y. H. Cho, “Effects of leakage flux on magnetic fields in interior permanent magnet synchronous motors,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp.3021-3024, July 2001.
- D. C. Hansel man, “Minimum torque ripple, maximum efficiency excitation of brushless permanent magnet motors,” IEEE Trans, hid. Electronics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 292-300, June 1994.
- D. C. Hansel man, “Effect of skew, pole count and slot count on brushless motorradial force, cogging torque and back EMF,” IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl, vol.144, no. 5„ pp. 325-330, Sept. 1997.
- D. Hansel man, “Figure of merit: motor constant indicates brushless motor performance, “Power Conversion and Intelligent Motion (PCIM), pp. 32-39, Dec.1998.
- D. Howe and Z. Q. Zhu, “The influence of finite element discretisation on the prediction of cogging torque in permanent magnet excited motors,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1080-1083, March 1992.
- “Design of solar PV water pumping system using BLDC drive using sensor less method” The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (IJES) Volume 3 -30 March 2014.
- E. P. Furlani, “Computing the field in permanent-magnet axial-field motors,”IEEE Trans. Magnetics,vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 3660-3663, Sept. 1994.
- EffatJahan ; Md. EttakerSiraj ; Md. Tauhedull Islam Khan ; Ahmed MortuzaSaleque “Design of a Brushless DC (BLDC) motor controller” Md.RifatHazari Dept. of Electr. & Electron. Eng., American Int. Univ.-Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh -10-12 April 2014.
- Electrical Machine Design Data Book Shanmugasundaram, A. , P S G College of Technology Coimbatore Gangadharan, G. , P S G College of Technology Coimbatore. Palani, R. , P S G College of Technology Coimbatore.
- FanlinMeng ; ChanghongFu ; ZhifengLuo ; ShunxiangWu,“Research of Brushless DC Motor Simulation System Based on RBF-PID Algorithm” XuFan Dept.of Autom., Xiamen Univ., Xiamen, China – Nov. 30 2009-Dec. 1 2009.
- G. Qishan and G. Hongzhan, “Effect of slotting in PM electric machines,” ElectricMachines and Power Systems, vol. 10, pp. 273-284, 1985.
- Hong Kong Lie-Tong Yan ; Shao-Yuan Fang“Design of a permanent-magnet brushless DC motor drive for an electric bicycle” T.F.Chan Dept. of Elects. Eng., Hong Kong Polytechnic. Univ., Kowloon, 1999.
- K. R Rasmussen, “Analytical prediction of magnetic field from surface mounted permanent magnet motor,” Proc. IEEE IEMDC’99, Seattle, WA, pp. 34-36, May 9-12,1999.
- K. F. Rasmussen, J. H. Davies, T. J. E. Miller, M. I. McGilp, and M. Olaru, “Analytical and numerical computation of air-gap magnetic fields in brushless motors with surface permanent magnets,” IEEE Trans. Industry Appl., vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1547- 1554, Nov./Dec. 2000.
- K. Atallah, Z. Q. Zhu, D. Howe, and T. S. Birch, “Armature reaction field and windinginductances of slotless permanent-magnet brushless machines,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics,vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 3737-3744, Sept. 1998.
- K. J. Binns and D. W. Shimmin, “Relationship between rated torque and size of permanentmagnet machines,” IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appt., vol. 143, no. 6„pp. 417-422, Nov. 1996.
- Michael J. Melfi ; Steve Evon ; Robbie McElveen“Permanent magnet motors for power density and energy savings in industrial applications”.
- T. AnveshRaju, Dr. G. Raja Rao “Solar PV fed FPGA Controlled BLDC Motor Speed Control” – Vol. 4 – Issue 01 (January – 2015).
- T.J.E.Miller, ”Brushless Permanent Magnet and Reluctance Motor Drives”, Clarendon ,Oxford ,1989.
- T. J. E. Miller and R. Rabinovici, “Back-EMF waveforms and core losses in brushless DC motors,” IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl,vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 144154, May 1994.
- U. Kim and D. K. Lieu, “Magnetic field calculation in permanent magnet motors withrotor eccentricity: without slotting effect,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, vol. 34, no. 4, pp.2243-2252, July 1998.
- U. Kim and D. K. Lieu, “Magnetic field calculation in permanent magnet motors withrotor eccentricity: with slotting effect considered,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics,vol. 34,no. 4, pp. 2253-2266, July 1998.
- Yu Wang ; Haiqing Cao “Software Design of Brushless DC Motor Control System Based on DSP” Fazhen Song Sch. of Autom., Beijing Inst. of Technol., Beijing, China -26-27 Aug. 2013.
- Z. Q. Zhu and D. Howe, “Analytic prediction of the cogging torque in radial-fieldpermanent magnet brushless motors,” IEEE Traits. Magnetics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp.1371-1374, March 1992.
- A.K.Sawhney, “A Course in Electrical Machine Design”, Dhanpat Rai and sons, New Delhi, 1984.