INVESTIGATION ON IMPERFECTION ON NATURAL FIBER REINFORCED POLYMER COMPOSITES USING INFRA RED THERMOGRAPHY
Author’s Name : Jagannath R
Volume 01 Issue 04 Year 2014 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 1-4
In modern engineering fields, composite materials are rapidly replacing the existing materials. During the fabrication of composites, imperfections appear on the composites due to various parameters such as temperature, pressure and moisture. Imperfections are occurred during the recurring, were observed on the composites such as porosities and resin shrinkage. The presence of voids or cracks or inclusion in the composites can cause a sudden failure. There are several methods to characterize these defects. The main aim of the present study is to investigate the imperfection on natural fiber reinforced polymer composites by using InfraRed Thermography. This method is suitable to identify the random voids and its morphology and also the cracks in the natural fiber reinforced polymer composites nondestructively.
Natural fiber reinforced polymer composites, Infra Red Thermography
- John Montesano et al .,Application of infrared thermography for the characterization of damage in braided carbon fiber reinforced polymer matrix composites. Composites: Part B 60 (2014) 137–143
- Suriania et al., Detection of Defects in Kenaf/Epoxy using Infrared Thermal Imaging Technique. Procedia Chemistry 4 ( 2012 ) 172 – 178
- Kurashiki K et al. A study on evaluation of fatigue damage of GFRP by infrared thermography (2nd report, evaluation of damage under two step fatigue test). Trans Jpn Soc Mech Eng (A) 2000;66(645):966–71.
- Maldague XPV, editor. Infrared and thermal testingMoore PO,editors. Nondestructive testing handbook, vol. 3. Columbus: American Society for Nondestructive Testing Inc.; 2001.
- Zhang Z, Hartwig G. Relation of damping and fatigue damage of unidirectional fibre composites. Int J Fatigue 2002;24:713–8.
- Chandra R, Singh SP, Gupta K. A study of damping in fiberreinorced composites. J Sound Vibrat 2003;262:475–96.
- Lazan BJ. Damping of materials and members in structural mechanics.Oxford: Pergamon Press; 1968.
- Rittel D. On the conversion of plastic work to heat during high strain rate deformation of glassy polymers. Mech Mater 1999;31(2):131–9.
- Carslaw HS, Jaeger JC. Conduction of heat in solids. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1959.
- Grigull U, Sandner H. Wa¨rmeleitung. Berlin: Springer; 1990. Bailey CD, Freeman SM, Hamilton JM. Detection and evaluation of impact damage in graphite/epoxy composites, materials and processes-in service performance. In: Proceedings of the ninth national technical conference, Atlanta, GA, USA; 1977. p. 491–503.