DETERMINING THE INFLUENCE OF VARIOUS CUTTING PARAMETERS ON MRR IN LM6/SIC COMPOSITES
Author’s Name : B Logesh
Volume 03 Issue 01 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 5-9
In present scenario, with globalized market, industries are in need to produce high surface finish of metallic parts at lowest possible cost. Face milling is most adoptive and widely used technology in creating complex surfaces which creates larger surface finish. The current research focuses on determining optimal cutting parameters to create high Material Removal Rate in milling process. These experiments were carried out on LM6 Aluminium alloy reinforced with 10% of silicon carbide particles. The machining parameters which are taken for the present study are cutting speed (rpm), feed rate (mm/tooth), depth of cut (mm) and coolant condition. Frictional factorial design (FFD) technique is used for optimizing process parameters. Experiment was conducted by eight trail runs of two level fractional factorial designs. The mathematical models were developed which were from the experimental data that are generated. ‘T’-test and ‘F’-test were used to test significant of coefficients and adequacy of experimentally developed models. The research details that the established equations clearly show that material removal rate (MRR) increases with the feed increasing and low depth of cut but under wet condition it decreases with increasing cutting speed.
Optimization; Machining Parameter; Face milling process; Material Removal Rate (MRR); Frictional Factorial Design Technique
- R.Arokiadass, K.Palaniradja and N.Alagumoorthi , “Surface roughness prediction model in end milling of Al/SiCp MMC by carbide tools”, International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No.6, pp.78-87, 2011.
- H. Oktem, “An Integrated Study of Surface Roughness for Modeling and Optimization of Cutting Parameters during End Milling Operation,” International Journal advanced Manufacturing Technology vol. 43, pp. 852-861, 2009.
- Thoguluva Raghavan Vijayaram, A.Kamely and E.Sachlan, “Effect of Lead Addition on LM6 Alloy Castings”, Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology, Vol.2, No.2, pp.65 – 75, 2010.
- Vamsi Inturi and V.Gopinath , “Modeling of Process Parameters on Surface Roughness in Milling of Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite (Al-7075 & Sic) using RSM”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol.3, No.9, pp.875 – 878,2014.
- K.Venkatesan, R.Ramanujam, J.Joel, P.Jeyapandiarajan, M.Vignesh, Darsh Jiten Tolia and R.Venkata Krishna, “Study of Cutting force and Surface Roughness in machining of Al alloy Hybrid Composite and Optimized using Response Surface Methodology”, Procedia Engineering, Vol.97, pp.677 – 686, 2014.
- S.Vijay Kumar Maga and B.S.Motagi, “A Study on Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (Lm6) Reinforced With Fly Ash, Redmud and Silicon Carbide”, IOSR- Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol.11, No.5, pp.07 – 16, 2014.
- Vikas Pare, Geeta Agnihotri and C.M.Krishna, “Optimization of Cutting Conditions in End Milling Process with the Approach of Particle Swarm Optimization”, International Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Vol.1, No.2, pp.21 –25, 2011.
- N.Radhika, R.Subramaniam and S.Babudeva senapathi, “Machining parameter optimisation of an aluminium hybrid metal matrix composite by statistical modeling”, Industrial Lubrication and Tribology, Vol.65, No.6, pp. 425 – 435, 2013.
- Sahil Guleria, “Optimization of Steel Connecting Rod by Aluminum Connecting Rod Using Finite Element Analysis”, International Journal of Advance research, Ideas and Innovations in Technology, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 33 -38, 2014.
- G.MSayeed Ahmed, Sirajuddin Elyas Khany and Syed Hamza Shareef, “Design, Fabrication and Analysis of a Connecting Rod with Aluminum Alloys and Carbon Fiber”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol.3, No.10, pp. 16674-16687, 2014.
- ]Surendra Kumar Saini and Sharad Kumar Pradhan, “Optimization of Multi-Objective Response during CNC Turning using Taguchi-Fuzzy Application”, Procedia Engineering, Vol.97, pp.141 – 149, 2014.
- R.Surenderan, A.Kumaravel and S.Vignesh, “Mechanical Behaviour of Lm6 Aluminium Alloy Reinforced With Nano Aluminium Oxide Using Die Casting Method”, IJRAME, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 1-8, 2014.
- Hardeep Singh, Rajesh Khanna and M.P.Garg, “Effect of Cutting parameter on MRR and Surface Roughness in Turning EN-8”, Current Trends in Engineering Research Vol.1, No.1, 2011.
- Nitin Sharma, Shahzad Ahmed, Zahid A.Khan and Arshad Noor Siddiquee, “Optimization of cutting parameters for Surface roughness in Turning”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Engineering and Technology, Vol.3, No.1, pp.86-96, 2011.
- A.E.Diniz and R.Micaroni, “Cutting conditions for finish turning process aiming: the use of dry cutting”, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.42, pp.899-904, 2002.
- Kakati, Chandrasekaran and Mandal, “Prediction of Optimum Cutting Parameters to obtain Desired Surface in Finish Pass end milling of Aluminium Alloy with Carbide Tool using Artificial Neural Network”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 81, pp.751-757, 2011.
- Mahendra Korat and Neeraj Agarwal, “Optimization of Different Machining parameters of EN24 alloy steel in CNC Turning by use of Taguchi method”, International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications,Vol.2, No.5,pp.160-664, 2012.
- Rahul Davis, “Optimization of Surface Roughness in wet turning operation of EN24 steel”, International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development, vol.2, No.3, pp.28-35,2012.