EXPERIMENTAL PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS ON VARIABLE COMPRESSION RATIO ENGINE USING DIESEL AS FUEL
Author’s Name : R Karthik | N Ravikumar | V Gopinath
Volume 03 Issue 03 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 21-23
An experimental investigation is carried out to analysis the performance of IC engine under variable compression ratios. The experiment has been conducted in variable compression ratio engine, single cylinder, 4-stroke, water-cooled diesel engine. Performance of the engine at the compression ratios of 14:1, 16:1, 18:1 and 20:1 are analyzed. From the analysis an attempt has been made to find the optimal compression ratio of engine based on considering the engine performance like brake thermal efficiency, specific fuel consumption, brake mean effective pressure and exhaust gas temperature. The compression ratio CR20 has less specific fuel consumption and more brake thermal efficiency, brake mean effective pressure and exhaust gas temperature compared to other compression ratios. However the exhaust gas temperature has increasing with increase in compression ratio, so which will affect the environment due to increase in atmospheric temperature. Hence based on the investigation the optimal compression ratio of this engine has been 18:1.
Variable compression ratio, Engine performance, Exhaust gas temperature
- R.Anand, G.R.Kannan, K.Rjasekhara Reddy, S.Velmathi, (2009) “The performance and emissions of a variable compression ratio diesel engine fuelled with biodiesel from cotton seed oil”, ARPN journal, vol.4, No.9.
- Deepak Agarwal, Avinash Kumar Agarwal, (2008) “Performance evaluation of vegetable oil fuelled compression ignition engine”, Renewable Energy, vol. 33, pp.1147-1156.
- Çelikten I, Mutlu E, Solmaz H, (2012) “Variation of performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fueled with diesel, rapeseed oil and hazelnut oil methyl ester blends” Renewable Energy, 48, pp.122-126.
- Gaurav Dwivedi, M.P. Sharma, (2013)“Performance Evaluation of Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel from Pongamia Oil” International Journal Of Renewable Energy Research, Vol.3, No.2, pp.324-330.
- V. Gopinath, Dr.P.Suresh, (2014) “Performance Evaluation of Diesel Engine Runs on Biodiesel Blending”, Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 592-594, pp. 1719-1722.
- V. Gopinath, Dr.P.Suresh, (2015) “Experimental Study on the Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Using Corn Oil as Fuel”, International journal of renewable energy and research, Vol.5, No.1, PP. 99-102.
- S.Sivalakshmi, T.Balusamy, K.Ramamoorthy, U.Udaykrishnan,(2011) “Experimental analysis of a variable compression ratio engine” Proceedings of International conference on recent trends Mechanical, Instrumentation and Thermal Engineering, pp 17-19.
- K.Manikanta, K.Anil, B.Manoj Prabhakar, (2010) “Performance Analysis of Variable Compression Ratio Engine using Diesel” AMAE International Journal on Production and Industrial Engineering, Vol. 01, No. 01, pp 46-47.
- K. Manikanta, K. Anil, B. Manoj Prabhakar, (2010) “Performance Analysis of Variable Compression Ratio Engine Using Diesel, ”Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering, pp.48-49.