DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMATIC SORTING MACHINE FOR COOKED & DRIED TURMERIC RHIZOMES
Author’s Name : Arjun Arun Kadam | N K Chhapkhane
Volume 04 Issue 01 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 5-10
India is a leading nation in a turmeric production. Size is the most important feature for accurate sorting of a turmeric rhizome. Because of the growing need to supply a high quality turmeric rhizomes with in short time, automatic sorting machine of a turmeric rhizomes is the priority of many Indian farmers. The Indian farmers used to a turmeric rhizomes sorting in conventional processes and this processes is time consuming. In this paper the different concepts to develop in a turmeric rhizomes sorting. The selecting the one out of these concept and develop the prototype and do a successful testing a turmeric rhizomes sorting process using image processing as per required parameters. The frame on which sorting machine is mounted is very rigid and can withstand machine weight. Radial & axial forces acting on a conveyor assembly are negligible and therefore life of various mountings such as ball bearings, pulleys, idlers etc. is very long. This makes machine more durable. The sorting efficiency increases if we comparing a conventional process and the new process by up to 70 %. The final design is a compact also a less cost machine which can be also used to another dry fruits sorting. The aim of project comes under the important parameter i.e. automatic turmeric sorting machine for cooked and dried turmeric rhizomes. The main object of a dissertation is to develop a sorting machine by using image processing and give the maximum efficiency of a turmeric rhizome sorting.
- M.Khojastehnazhand, M. Omid and A. TabatabaeefarDepartment of Agricultural Machinery Engineering,“Development of a lemon sorting system based on colorand size” African Journal of Plant Science Vol. 4(4), pp. 122-127, April 2010.
- S.J. Ojolo, J.I. Orisaleye, Adelaja, A.O., Kilanko, O Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Lagos, “Design and Development of Waste Sorting Machine” Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences (JETEAS) 2 (4): 576-580 2011 (ISSN: 2141-7016)
- Tom Pearson Dan Moore Jim Pearson “A machine vision system for high speed sorting of small spots on grains’ _ Springer Science Business Media New York (Outside the USA) 2012 30 September 2011 / Accepted: 11 October 2012 / Published online: 27 October 2012
- Yud-RenChen ,Kuanglin Chao, Moon S. Kim “Machine vision technology for agricultural applications”. Elsevier Computers and Electronics in Agriculture(36 2002) 173_/191
- Pla, F., Sanchiz, J.M., Sánchez, J.S. “An integral automation of industrial fruit and vegetable sorting by machine VISION” Enginyeria Visual. UniversitatJaume I, Campus Riu Sec, 12071 Castelló (SPAIN).
- S Balasubramanian, A M Mohite, K K Singh1, T John Zachariah2 & T Anand “Physical properties of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.)” Central Institute of Post Harvest Engineering andTechnology,Ludhiana-141 004, Punjab, India. Journal of Spices and Aromatic CropsVol. 21 (2) : 178–181 (2012)
- Book Karl T Ulrich (2009) Product Design and Development. 4th Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Publication. New Delhi.