MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF RED MUD REINFORCED ALUMINUM METAL MATRIX COMPOSITES
Author’s Name : M Sambathkumar | P Navaneethakrishnan | P Arunkumar
Volume 04 Issue 02 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 14-16
This paper investigates the mechanical behavior of Metal Matrix Composites (MMCs) prepared using Al7075 alloy as matrix and Red mud as reinforcement particle. Two step stir casting process is used to fabricate the composites by varying volume fractions of Red mud (5%, 10% and 15% volume fractions). The 10 Vol. % red mud aluminum matrix composites showed the maximum tensile strength of 215MPa. The maximum tensile strength increased by 40 MPa .Vickers Micro Hardness tests are performed and the hardness values vary from HV145 to HV177 with an increase in reinforcement from 0% to 15% volume fraction. Microstructure of the composite is used to identify the distribution of reinforcement particle.
Al7075,RedMud,Two step Stir Casting
- N. Chawla and Y.-L. Shen, “Mechanical behavior of particle reinforced metal matrix composites”, Advanced engineering materials, vol. 3, No.6,Pp. 357-370, 2001.
- G.V. Kumar, et al., “Studies on Al6061-SiC and Al7075-Al2O3 metal matrix composites”, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, vol.9, Pp. 43, 2010.
- B. Vijaya Ramnath, et al., “Evaluation of mechanical properties of aluminium alloy–alumina–boron carbide metal matrix composites”, Materials & Design,vol.58,Pp. 332-338, 2014.
- W. Zhou and Z. Xu, “Casting of SiC reinforced metal matrix composite”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology,vol. 63, No.1, Pp. 358-363, 1997.
- A. Baradeswaran, and A. Elaya Perumal, ‘Study on mechanical and wear properties of Al 7075/Al< sub> 2</sub> O< sub> 3</sub>/graphite hybrid composites”, Composites Part B: Engineering,vol. 56,Pp. 464-471, 2014.
- R. Kumar and S. Dhiman, “A study of sliding wear behaviors of Al-7075 alloy and Al-7075 hybrid composite by response surface methodology analysis”, Materials& Design, vol. 50,Pp. 351-359, 2013.
- A. Kalkanli, and S. Yilmaz, “Synthesis and characterization of aluminum alloy 7075 reinforced with silicon carbide particulates”, Materials & Design, vol. 29, No. 4,Pp. 775-780, 2008.
- Z. Sherafat, et al., “Mechanical properties and deformation behavior of Al/Al7075, two-phase material”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds,. Vol. 502, No. 1,Pp. 123-126, 2010.
- M.S, Reddy, S.V. Chetty, and S. Premkumar, “Evaluation of Hardness and Tensile Properties of Al 7075 Based Composite”, International Journal of Advances in Engineering Research, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2012.
- Y.H.F. Su, Y.C. Chen, and C.Y.A. Tsao, “Workability of spray-formed 7075 Al alloy reinforced with SiCp at elevated temperatures”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 364, No. 1–2,Pp. 296-304, 2004.
- B. Yang, et al., “Microstructural characterization and wear behavior of in situ TiC/7075 composites synthesized by displacement reactions and spray forming”, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 528, No.18,Pp. 5649-5655, 2011.
- R. Flores-Campos, et al., “Microstructural and mechanical characterization in 7075 aluminum alloy reinforced by silver nanoparticles dispersion”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 495, No.2,Pp. 394-398, 2010.
- T.J.A. Doel, and P. Bowen, “Tensile properties of particulate-reinforced metal matrix composites”, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 27, No.8, Pp. 655-665, 1996.
- P. Shanmughasundaram, R. Subramanian, and G. Prabhu, “Synthesis of Al-Fly ash composites by modified two step stir casting method”, Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 488,Pp. 775-781,2012.
- K. Ponappa, S. Aravindan, and P.V. Rao, “Influence of Y2O3 particles on mechanical properties of magnesium and magnesium alloy (AZ91D)”, Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 47, No. 10, Pp. 1231-1239, 2013.