A REVIEW ON MICRO-MANUFACTURING, MICRO-FORMING AND THEIR KEY ISSUES
Author’s Name : V Chowthies
Volume 04 Issue 02 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 17-21
Micro-manufacturing has received good attention globally in terms of its manufacturing methods/processes. One of the most popular micro-manufacturing processes is micro-forming. Many efforts have been focused on micro-forming, mainly on the micro-stamping process due to the process itself contributing numerous products, especially in its conventional macro-process. Most every- day products are made by this process. Although there were efforts made to realize micro-forming for industrial application, the technology itself was seen as being insufficiently mature. Much development work needed to be done, specifically to develop a fully-automated high-volume production micro-forming machine, which is reliable and at all times ready for operation in terms of it processes, tooling, and material – handling to ensure the successful production of micro-products. The paper addresses key issues encountered by researchers worldwide on both micro-manufacturing, specifically micro-forming.
- Qin, Y. (2006) Forming-tool design innovation and intelligent tool- structure/system concepts. International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture.46, 11, 1253-1260.
- Okazaki, Y., Mishima, N. & Ashida, K. (2002) Microfactory and micro machine tool. The 1st Korea-Japan Conference on Positioning Technology.Daejeon, Korea.
- Okazaki, Y., Mishima, N. & Ashida, K. (2004) Micro factory Concept, History, and Developments. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Processing, 126, 837-844.
- Claessen, U. & Codourey, A. (2002) Micro factory. Section Head CSEM CH 6055 Alpnach Switzerlan. Switzerland.
- Byung, -. Y. J., Rhim, S.-H. & Oh, S.- L. (2005) Micro-hole fabrication by mechanical punching process. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 170, 593.
- Chern, G.-L. & Renn, J. C. (2004) Development of a novel micro-punching machine using proportional solenoid. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 25, 89-93.  Chern, G.-L. & Chuang, Y. (2006) Study on vibration-EDM and mass punching of micro holes. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 180,151-160.
- Qin, Y. (2009) Overview on Micro- Manufacturing. IN QIN, Y. (Ed.) Micro-manufacturing Engineering and Technology. Glasgow, Elsevier.
- Mishima, N., Ashida, K., Tanikawa, T.& Maekawa, H. (2002) Design of a microfactory. Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference 7th Design for Manufacturing Conference. Montreal, Que., Canada.
- Brussel, H. V., J. Peirs, Reynaerts, D.,Delchambre, A., Reinhart, G., Roth, N., Weck, M. & Zussman, E. (2000) Assembly of mi crosystems. Annals of the CIRP, 49, 451-472.
- Gaugel, T., Dobler, H., Malthan, D., Bengel, M. & Weis, C. (2001) Minifabrik für Laserdioden und Biochips. 1 -7.
- Klocke, V. & Gesang, T. (2003) Nanorobotics for Micro Production Technology. Klocke Nanotechnik, Pascalstr. Proceedings of the SPIE,4943, 132-141.-manufacturing: research, technology outcomes and Int J. Adv. Manuf. Technology, (2010)47:821-837.
- Qin, Y. (2007) Advances in micro- manufacturing research and technological development and challenges/opportunities for micro – mechanical- machining. Cutting Tools Congres. Milano, Italy.
- Aronson, R. B. (2004) Micro manufacturing is Growing. Manufacturing Engineering. Manufacturing Engineering. 132, 4.
- Kibe, Y., Okada, Y. & Mitsui, K. (2007) Machining accuracy for shearing process of thin -sheet metals- Development of initial tool position adjustment system. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 47, 1728-1737.
- Rougeot, P., Regnier, S. & Chaillet, N. (2005) Forces analysis for micro – manipulation. Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation, IEEE. 105-110.
- Arai, F., Ando, D., Fukuda, T., Nonoda, Y. & Oota, T. (1995) Micromanipulation based on micro physics – Strategy based on attractive force reduction and stress measurement. Proc. IEEE/RSJ. 236-241.
- Arai, F. & Fukuda, T. (1997) A new pick up and release method by heating for micro manipulation. IEEE. 383-388.
- Feddema, J. T., Xavier, P. & Brown, R. (1999) Micro-Assembly Planning with Van Der Waals Force. Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Assembly and Task Planning. Porto, Portugal, IEEE. 32-38.
- Rollot, Y. & Régnier, S. (2000) Micro manipulation par adhésion, Nano et micro technologies. 653 -658.
- Tomas, J. (2007) Adhesion of ultrafine particles A micromechanical approach. Chemical Engineering Science, 62, 1997-2010.  Kalpakjian, S. & Schmid, S. R. (2006) Manufacturing Engineering and Technology, Prentice Hall.
- Geiger, M., Kleiner, M., Eckstein, R., Tiesler, N. & Engel, U. (2001) Microforming. CIRP Annals – Manufacturing Technology, 50, 445-462.
- Vollertsen, F., Hu, Z., Niehoff, H. S. & Theiler, C. (2004) State of the art in micro forming and investigations into micro deep drawing. J. Mats.Proc. Tech., 70-79.
- Vollertsen, F., Niehoff, H. S. & Hu, Z. (2006) State of the art in micro forming. International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture, 46, 1172-1179.
- Qin, Y. (2006) Micro-forming and miniature manufacturing systems – Development needs and perspectives.11th International Conference on Micro-manufacturing. Urbana- Champaign, USA.
- Qin, Y. (2006) Micro-Forming and miniature manufacturing systems – Development needs and perspectives. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 177, 8-18.  Geiger, M., Vollertsen, F. & Kals, R. (1996) Fundamentals on the manufacturing of sheet metal microparts. Annals of the CIRP, 45(1),227-282.
- Chern, G.-L., Wu, Y.-J. E. & Liu, S.-F. (2006) Development of a micro- punching machine and study on the influence of vibration machining in micro-EDM. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 180,102-109.
- Schneider, R. & Groche, P. (2004) Method for the optimization of forming presses for the manufacturing of micro – parts. CIRP Annals. 53, 1, 281-284.
- Hu, Z., Vollertsen, F., Niehoff, H. S. & Theiler, C. (2004) State of the art in micro formin g and investigations into micro deep drawing. J. Mats.Proc. Tech., 151, 70-79.
- Park, J. H., Yoshida, K., Nakasu, Y.& Yokota, S. (2002) A resonantly- driven piezoelectric micropump for microfactory. Proc. ICMT20002.Kitakyushu.
- Kima, S. S., Hana, C. S. & Lee, Y.-S. (2005) Development of a new burr-free hydro-mechanical punching. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 162-163, 524-529.  Matsushita, N. (2003) Laser Micro- Bending for precise micro-fabrication of magnetic disk -drive components.Int. Sympo. on Laser Precision Micro fabrication. No4, Munich.
- Jeong, H.-W., Hata, S. & Shimokohbe, A. (2003) Microforming of three-dimensional microstructures from thin-film metallic glass. J. of Micro electromechanical Systems, 12(1),42-52.
- Saotome, Y. & Okamoto, T. (2001) An in-situ incremental microforming system for three-dimensional shell structures of foil materials. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 113, 636-640.
- Oh, S. I., Rhim, S. H., Joo, B. Y., Yoon, S. M., Park, H. J. & Choi, T. H. (2005) Forming o f micro channels with ultra thin metal foil by cold isostatic pressing. 5th Japan-Korea Joint Symposium on Micro-Fabrication.
- Schuler (1998) Metal Forming Handbook, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York.
- Lai, X., Peng, L., Hua, P., Lan, S. & Ni, J. (2008) Material behavior modelling in micro/meso scale forming process with considering size/scale effects. Computational Materials Science, 43, 1003-1009.
- Peng, L., Liu, F., Ni, J. & Lai, X. (2007) Size effects in thin sheet metal forming and its elastic plastic constitutive model. Materials and Design, 28, 1731-1736.
- Peng, L., Hu, P., Lai, X., Mei, D. & Ni, J. (2009) Investigation of Micro/meso Sheet Soft Punch Stamping Process simulation and experiments.Materials and Design, 30,783-790.
- Engel, U. & Eckstein, R. (2002) Micro forming from basic research to its realization. J. Mats. Proc. Tech.,125-126, 35-44.
- Manabe, K., Shimizua, T., Koyamab, H., Yanga, M. & Itoc, K. (2007) Validation of FE simulation based on surface roughness model in micro-deep drawing. J. Mats. Proc. Tech., 204, 89-93.